Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Do you know what this is?




It is a McCormick Deering Cream Separator.
My parents had this exact same unit with an electric motor added.
You had to hand crank it to get it running then plug in the electric motor to keep it up to speed.
You could also sustain the speed by hand, but it was a lot of work.

The milk is poured into the big bowl on top and is metered into the shiny dome with spouts which has a centrifuge inside.  The cream being the lightest constituent of milk is forced to the top where it pours out of the upper spout into a container placed on the round shelf. The fat free milk pours out of the lower spout into a milk pail placed on the floor.  The cream exits as a small stream and the separated milk is almost 10 times the volume of the cream.

I fed a lot of the separated milk to a calf I called Pard' using a teat bucket hung on the fence of his pen.
Pard' became so tame that I could go into the pen and stand with my arm draped down over his neck.

Pard was among a group of steers that we included in the cattle drive to the summer range.  He disappeared among the herd, but on about the fifth day I spotted him trailing along with the others in single file.  I dismounted from my horse and went over to him to see if he still recognized me.  I did put my arm around his neck, but he just kept right on walking.  While the other steers near by shied away.

All because of the McCormick Deering Separator

3 comments:

  1. Interesting Dad.

    I woulda said it was a juicer or a puree maker or something . . . .

    Sorry the cow didn't recognize you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't theirs green though? I remember playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tina, The steer did allow me to hang my arm down around his neck, but he had been on the trail for four days and kept walking following his instinct to trail single file.
    @ Trudy, It was a yellowish tan in color.

    ReplyDelete