Friday, November 30, 2012

JACK FROST FLASH BACK


 Cecilia told me of her conversation with Stevie about "JACK FROST"  It brought memories from my youth flooding forth.  In Abraham Utah we used to have extended periods of sub freezing temperatures and fog.  The trees would get so loaded with frost that I could cause my own personal snow storm by kicking the tree trunk.  The frost would fall in a veritable blizzard.


 I have seen the frost build up on our rural power lines so heavily as to create a diameter of at least eight inches.  Each succeeding morning would reveal the lines sagging lower and lower. Sometimes to the point  of breakage.


While feeding the horses I would come to a realization of their ability to deal with the cold.  When you need a winter coat, GROW ONE!



Fido would also show signs of the harshness of the cold


Kitty perhaps felt it worst of all!


Sometimes, having her ears bitten off by "JACK FROST"
By the way, this cat survived 4 weeks in a commercial freezer  eating only frozen peas.


The moisture from ones breath would freeze to ones facial hair.


Even ones Eye Lashes would frost up.


During these cold spells the 90 wt gear oil in "THE BLUE CORN BINDER's" transmission would be so stiff that the truck would roll forward even with the transmission in neutral. It would take a few minutes of driving in "first gear" before the gears could even be shifted.
I didn't know it at the time, but the reason they called the truck a "corn binder" is that
"McCormick Deering" which later became "International Harvester" had invented the "corn binder" pictured above. (a real RATTLE trap)  Google "corn binder truck"
Thus the "International" truck was referred to, in a derogatory manner, as a "Corn Binder"

The worst of these winter sagas was in the late 1950's .
WE HAD 30 DAYS OF CONTINUOUS FOG
 WITH THE TEMPERATURE DOWN TO 30 BELOW EVERY NIGHT!
BURIED WATER PIPES WERE FREEZING.
I had do dig down in the shallowest location to find the pipe then pour hot water on it to thaw it out. Otherwise our feeder calves would have to go without water.

Dad had been driving the "winter herd" of cattle home.  Upon awaking on the morning of the first day of the FOG, he had no choice but to leave them for the thirty days because the fog was so thick  he couldn't even find the cows.

Nearing the end of the thirty days dad and I hauled our horses through the fog out to hot springs.
We then rode our horses up on top of the hot springs lava bench into the bright sunshine hoping to see some  cattle, but none were there.

What a sight to look out over the bank of fog across the valley toward Delta and Fillmore.
It was like the whole valley was full of milk with mountains poking up through the fog into the bright sun which was shining down on the whole scene.
IT WAS A GRAND VIEW.
This is the closest representation I could find on the internet.  Ignore the tower.

We had no choice but to return home to wait for the fog to lift, which it did in a few more days.

Thanks to the internet community for all the photos. 

5 comments:

  1. I don't have pictures of Sid with frost in his beard, but there were days after he had done the chores that he looked just like the picture he posted.
    Our poor dogs, we did bring them in and let them stay in the house in the daytime and sleep at night.

    It sure is pretty though. I remember as a child waking up in the mornings and seeing the beautiful designs on the windows that Jack Frost had drawn in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post dad. The lowest I can remember the temperature getting (not to say it didn't get lower) while I lived in that area was 20 below at night. It was when Lincoln and I were living at the Loveless home. I probably remember it because I was a responsible adult at that time! and had to make sure faucets were dripping so that the pipes wouldn't freeze, and make sure the well pipes were insulated or heated before going to bed. I remember it was so cold your snot froze in your nose!!! and when I was a teenager I loved when it would stay cold for days, so that we could go and safely ice skate on the Reservoir. It sure is pretty with all the frost everywhere . . . . what a sight! By the way, I can hardly read your words on the blog . . . . . but like the background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog pops. Seems crazy for us to miss those experiences doesn't it? I too had a hard time reading the uppercase font. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better now dad!!! I did like the format (visually) you had, but I had a HARD time reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much easier to read Dad....I miss the frost building up on everything too. Sure was pretty. Don't miss trying to start the tractor to load the feed truck so we could feed the calves...seems like it took half the day so we would only feed them a double dose and call it good. Coldest I remember was 25 below building corral with you, Lincoln, and Sid Jr. We would stay out until our faces were so cold we couldn't talk very well. Good times ;-)

    ReplyDelete