Saturday, October 22, 2011

FRUIT FLY TRAP

I WAS REALLY GETTING FED UP WITH THOSE DARN FRUIT FLIES
SO, I CHECKED THE INTERNET: A QUART JAR, A SHEET OF CARD STOCK ,  A LITTLE TAPE. A LITTLE BANANA PEEL AND VIOLA,  
S         U          C           C            E          S           S

Fly traps built on this principle have been around for a very long time.
I built this one yesterday afternoon and within a very short time it had more flies
in it than are shown now.   What did I do with them? you ask.
Well I wasn't going to turn them loose outside so I stuck the bottle in the freezer
and froze the little devils.  This is the results of an after freeze, overnight catch.
I haven't been bothered by one of the little devils all morning. 

So where do they come from? 
We cart them home with the fresh fruit we buy at the grocery store etc.
Next time you are shopping for fresh fruit look for the little fruit flies.

3 comments:

  1. This method works better than the others we have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool Dad! I hate fruit flies. Luckily we don't get too many in the house here.

    ReplyDelete